An Actual Survey of the Hamlet of Bethnal Green in the Parish of Stepney, Taken in the Year MDCCIII thumbnail 1
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
Request to view at the Prints & Drawings Study Room, level F , Case TOPIC, Shelf 10A

An Actual Survey of the Hamlet of Bethnal Green in the Parish of Stepney, Taken in the Year MDCCIII

Print
1703 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place of origin

Survey map of Bethnal Green, with the owners and occupiers of each piece of land labelled, and buildings marked in red. On the left there is a list of the courts and alleys in the hamlet, and on the right is the title of the print, with a border of leaves and the figures of three people and a dog. The Parish Church of St Matthew has been added to the map in pencil and ink at some point after 1743.


Object details
Categories
Object type
Materials and techniques
coloured engraving
Brief description
'An Actual Survey of the Hamlet of Bethnal Green', coloured engraving by J. Harris, 1703
Physical description
Survey map of Bethnal Green, with the owners and occupiers of each piece of land labelled, and buildings marked in red. On the left there is a list of the courts and alleys in the hamlet, and on the right is the title of the print, with a border of leaves and the figures of three people and a dog. The Parish Church of St Matthew has been added to the map in pencil and ink at some point after 1743.
Dimensions
  • Height: 20in
  • Width: 24.5in
Dimensions taken from departmental handlist
Marks and inscriptions
I. Harris Sculp.
Credit line
Given by the Hon. Arthur Villiers
Object history
This object was part of the John Edmund Gardner collection of topographical prints and drawings of London. After Gardner's death the collection passed to his son Edmund Thomas, but was sold to Edward Coates MP in 1910. The collection was sold again in 1923 after Coates' death, and was split between various institutions and private collectors. The portion connected with Hoxton, Homerton, Hackney and Bethnal Green was bought by the Hon. Arthur Villiers and donated to the Bethnal Green Museum.
Subject depicted
Place depicted
Association
Bibliographic reference
Taken from departmental handlist
Collection
Accession number
E.4887-1923

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

Record createdJune 30, 2009
Record URL
Download as: JSONIIIF Manifest