- Place of origin:
- Materials and Techniques:
Oak and elm, joined
- Credit Line:
Given by A. G. Ross, in memory of her brother, Robert Ross
- Museum number:
- Gallery location:
This table is of joined construction, with mortise and tenon joints. Joined tables came into use after about 1550, replacing trestle tables. It is a plain table which was probably used both for eating and for general use. The diners mostly sat on long benches or stools on either side. The under-frame is made of oak but the top is elm. Oak was mostly imported, but elm was a common hedgerow tree, readily available to country joiners.
On loan to Woolsthorpe Manor (National Trust).
Long table on a joined oak frame, with added elm top.
The oak frame is of joined construction, with four chamfered square-section legs joined by plain stretchers (rounded on their top edges), and ogee-moulded rails to which are pegged corner brackets. At one end, the rail has a cut-out, probably for a loper; at the other end, the rail has a round mortice on its outer face (purpose uncertain).
The top, of breadboard construction consists of three long boards, two wide and one narrow, with narrow end battens, and locating blocks underneath.
The top replaced. The four feet replaced. Extensive old woodworm damage
Place of Origin
Materials and Techniques
Oak and elm, joined
Height: 73 cm, Length: 247.5 cm, Depth: 75.5 cm
Object history note
16th C. oak table, gift of A G Ross in memory of Robert Ross.
14a Berkley St W.
On loan to Woolsthorpe Manor (downstairs kitchen), 2014.
Notes from R.P. 19/2583 and 52/2142
Referred to as "English, 16th Century oak table". Condition described as "worm-eaten, shakey".
No other info. in R.P.
'Joined-frame tables of this type had virtually superseded collapsible trestle-table by this date, although they were too cumberson to be moved easily. However, the top of this very plain example is removable.'
Long oak table with later elm top, with square legs
Bibliographic References (Citation, Note/Abstract, NAL no)
Table, oak, with elm top; the framework is slightly moulded on the front and ends; the four legs are square and chamfered at the angles; they have brackets above, and are united below by plain stretchers.
From catalogue H. 2 ft. 4 in., D. 8 ft. 1 ½ in., W. 2 ft. 6 in.
(H. 71.1 cm, D. 247.7 cm, W. 76.2 cm)
Given by A. G. Ross, Esq., in memory of his brother, the late Robert Ross, Esq.
From: H. Clifford Smith, Catalogue of English Furniture & Woodwork
(London 1930), 610
Furniture and Woodwork Collection