- Place of origin:
- Materials and Techniques:
- Museum number:
- Gallery location:
This ring was acquired by the Museum in 1871 as part of a large collection of rings which had been assembled by the Victorian scholar Edmund Waterton. It was described at that time as modern Syrian.
It was probably made as a souvenir for Christian pilgrims visiting Jerusalem. The five interlocking crosses were the heraldic symbol of the medieval Kingdom of Jerusalem, and have been widely used as a symbol of the city in modern times. The spray which surrounds the crosses was a common motif on 19th-century Ottoman silver; it may represent ears of corn or olive branches.
Silver seal ring with a vertical oval bezel engraved with the Cross of Jerusalem (a cross potent between four plain crosslets) with two branches on either side which cross at the bottom to form a wreath, and the word ‘Jerusalem’ in Hebrew characters (inverted) above.
Place of Origin
Materials and Techniques
Marks and inscriptions
At top of bezel, inverted.
Diameter: 1.9 cm
Silver seal ring engraved with a Jerusalem cross within a wreath and the word 'Jerusalem' in Hebrew script above, Jerusalem (Israel), 1800-1850.
Jewellery; Metalwork; Christianity; Judaism