Necklace

ca. 1806 (made), 1820s (alteration)
Necklace thumbnail 1
Necklace thumbnail 2
+1
images
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Jewellery, Rooms 91, The William and Judith Bollinger Gallery
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

This necklace and earrings are part of a larger set or parure of jewellery. It is believed that the French emperor Napoleon Bonaparte and his consort Joséphine gave them to their adopted daughter, Stéphanie de Beauharnais, on her arranged marriage to the heir of the Grand Duke of Baden in 1806. Nitot & Fils, the principal jewellers to Napoleon and Joséphine, probably made it. The large stones and the simplicity of design are typical of jewellery favoured at the court of Napoleon. The emerald drops at the back of the necklace can be detached and worn as earrings. They are later in date.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Emeralds and diamonds set in gold and silver
Brief Description
Necklace, faceted table-cut emeralds in borders of brilliant-cut diamonds, Nitot & Fils, France, about 1806
Physical Description
Necklace, faceted table-cut emeralds in borders of brilliant-cut diamonds; briolette emerald drops; open-set in gold and silver. Extra drops were added to the back of the necklace in the 1820s.
Dimensions
  • Length: 41cm
  • Depth: 6cm
  • Height: 20.5cm
  • Width: 20cm
  • Average (segment) depth: 0.9cm
Credit line
Given by Countess Margharita Tagliavia
Object history
Part of a parure presented by Napoleon to his adopted daughter Stephanie de Beauharnais (1789-1860), a connection of the Empress Joséphine, on her marriage to the Grand Duke of Baden's heir in 1806. Probably made by Nitot. The marriage was arranged to consolidate the Confederacy of the Rhine.
Summary
This necklace and earrings are part of a larger set or parure of jewellery. It is believed that the French emperor Napoleon Bonaparte and his consort Joséphine gave them to their adopted daughter, Stéphanie de Beauharnais, on her arranged marriage to the heir of the Grand Duke of Baden in 1806. Nitot & Fils, the principal jewellers to Napoleon and Joséphine, probably made it. The large stones and the simplicity of design are typical of jewellery favoured at the court of Napoleon. The emerald drops at the back of the necklace can be detached and worn as earrings. They are later in date.
Bibliographic References
  • Shirley Bury Jewellery Gallery Summary Catalogue (V&A, 1982), Case 17, Board F, No.2, p. 107.
  • Martin Chapman, 'Jewellery and the French Revolution' in V&A Album, Spring 1989, pp. 47-52.
  • 'Metalwork Acquisitions at the V&A 1978-88', Burlington Magazine, Vol. 131, no. 1034, (May, 1989), item XIV, p. 389.
  • Diana Scarisbrick, Chaumet: Master Jewellers since 1780 (Paris, 1995), pp. 40-1.
  • Clare Philips, Jewelry From Antiquity to the Present (London, 1996) p. 128.
  • Clare Philips, Jewels and Jewellery (V&A, 2000), pp. 68-9.
Collection
Accession Number
M.3-1979

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdFebruary 11, 2003
Record URL