Border

ca. 1200 (made)
Border thumbnail 1
Border thumbnail 2
+1
images
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Sacred Silver & Stained Glass, Room 84, The Whiteley Galleries
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

This panel probably comes from the north side of the ambulatory (encircling aisle) of the Trinity Chapel in Canterbury Cathedral. Originally, the border panels would have been placed at the top and bottom of a window with figurative medallions.

Much of the surviving medieval glass was removed from the cathedral in the middle of the 19th century and replaced with copies. The original panels were stored in various glaziers’ workshops, and eventually sold off to private collectors. Over time, some of the original panels from the cathedral have come into museum collections in Britain and in the United States.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Stained glass
Brief Description
Stained glass panel of part of a border, from a window at Canterbury Cathedral. English, c.1200
Physical Description
Border from Canterbury Cathedral.
Dimensions
  • Height: 17.625in
  • Width: 8.25in
Gallery Label
BORDER PANELS Said at the time of acquisition to be from Canterbury Cathedral. England or France, probably about 1200 Museum nos. C.269-1911, C.271-1911, C.273-1911((PW) 2003)
Credit line
Given by Mr Noël Heaton
Object history
Came to the museum via John Hunt. Formerly in the collection of Philip Nelson.
Production
Believed to come from the north side of the Trinity Chapel ambulatory. These border panels originally would have been placed at the top and bottom of a window with figurative medallions.
Summary
This panel probably comes from the north side of the ambulatory (encircling aisle) of the Trinity Chapel in Canterbury Cathedral. Originally, the border panels would have been placed at the top and bottom of a window with figurative medallions.



Much of the surviving medieval glass was removed from the cathedral in the middle of the 19th century and replaced with copies. The original panels were stored in various glaziers’ workshops, and eventually sold off to private collectors. Over time, some of the original panels from the cathedral have come into museum collections in Britain and in the United States.
Associated Objects
Bibliographic References
  • Madeline H. Caviness, "Canterbury Stained Glass," Arts in Virginia, vol.13, no.2 (1973), pp.1-15
  • Madeline H. Caviness, The Stained Glass of the Trinity Chapel Ambulatory of Canterbury Cathedral, unpublished PhD dissertation, Harvard, 1970
  • M.H. Caviness, The Windows of Christ Church Canterbury Cathedral (Corpus Vitrearum Medii Aevi, Great Britain, 2, London, 1981)
  • M.H. Caviness, The Early Stained Glass of Canterbury Cathedral circa 1175-1220, Princeton, 1977
Collection
Accession Number
C.272-1911

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdJanuary 7, 1998
Record URL