- Place of origin:
12th century (made)
- Museum number:
- Gallery location:
A four-armed standing figure in the upright or samabhanga pose. The upper right hand holds the wheel (cakra), poised on the tips of the first two fingers; the upper left hand holds the conch (sankha), the lower end of which extends to the palm; the lower left hand rests on the mace (gada); the lower right hand is in abhaya mudra. There is no sign of the usual srivatsa symbol above the right breast. The figure wears a cylindrical coronet (kirita makuta), the middle portion of which has apparently been re-cut and thinned. The eyes and eyebrows were apparently recut at the same time. There are a number of unusual features; for instance, the angle at which the ears jut out and the unusually pointed nose. Behind the head is a flower-like siras cakra or disc for hanging garlands. The lower garment is worn with girdle and sash, the former with ties extending between the legs and the latter with projecting bows at the hips.
The lower garment is elaborately ornamented, and the clasp of the girdle gives the impression of being placed lower than usual. Other details include a multi-stranded sacred-cord with one strand separating at a higher level than usual; a waist-band, keyura armlets, makara kundala ear pendants, bangles worn high above the ankles, padasaras on the feet. The figure stands on a circular pedestal with much abraded lotus petals. This pedestal is cast in one piece with a square base, the latter with upright tenons for the support of an arched-surround or torana ( now missing). The prescence of encrusted carbonate material in surface crevices confirm a period of earth-burial.
Place of Origin
12th century (made)
Height: 38 cm
Object history note
Part of the treasure trove excavated at Coimbatore, Madras Presidency, 15th Century. Formed part of the collection made by Lord Curzon of Kedleston during the course of his travels in the East in the latter part of the 19th Century and during his residency in India as Viceroy and Governor-General from 1898-1905.
Displayed at Bethnal Green Museum from 1906 and later bequested by Lord Curzon to the V&A in 1925 (date of receipt-24 May 1927).
Standing figure of Vishnu on pedestal, bronze, Coimbatore, 12th century.
South & South East Asia Collection