Chauri Handle thumbnail 1
Not currently on display at the V&A

Chauri Handle

Place Of Origin

The parts for this fly-whisk handle, made in India in the late 18th or early 19th century, have been fashioned from nephrite jade and then carved with external, low-relief decoration. Nephrite is a hard and durable material that requires skill and patience to work and objects such as this would have been made for the elite.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Parts
This object consists of 2 parts.

  • Chauri Handle
  • Chauri Handle
Materials and Techniques
Olive green nephrite jade, ferrous metal (iron or steel). Fashioned using a variety of techniques and with the use of abrasive-charged tools.
Brief Description
Chauri handle, cup-like in the form of a partially opened flower bud, carved shaft with flower bud terminal, inserted metal rod, olive green nephrite jade, India
Physical Description
A handle in two parts, with both having been fashioned in olive green nephrite jade and with an average quality polish.

The first part is cup-like in the form of a partially opened flower bud, possibly a lotus, with the inside being smooth and plain and the outside having fluted sides that descend to two collars of leaves or calyxes. There is a hole drilled in the bottom of the cup down through the stem. There are carved recesses around the outer surface of the base suggesting that they were to be set with stones at a later stage. There are two significant cracks to the cup together with several smaller ones.

The shaft of the handle has parallel, gently curved channels carved along much of its length, ending in a collar of acanthus leaves and a closed flower bud terminal. The shaft tapers from the bud end and a ferrous metal rod has been inserted and fixed in place. Again, there are recesses carved into the bud terminal.
Dimensions
  • 614 1 1874 length: 76.6 to 77.1mm
  • 614 1 1874 diameter: 64.0 to 65.5mm (Note: External diameter at the mouth)
  • 614 1 1874 diameter: 26.3 to 26.7mm (Note: Maximum external diameter of the stem of the cup)
  • 614 1 1874 depth: 39.7mm (Note: Depth of the cup from the rim, at the centre)
  • 614 2 1874 length: 182mm (+/- 1) (Note: Overall length of the shaft, including the metal rod)
  • 614 2 1874 length: 99.7mm (Note: Length of the nephrite shaft only)
  • 614 2 1874 diameter: 18.0 to 18.5mm (Note: Diameter range of the nephrite shaft at the iron rod end)
  • 614 2 1874 diameter: 23.3 to 23.9mm (Note: Maximum diameter of the nephrite shaft, around the bud terminal)
Object history
This fly-whisk handle was acquired by William Tayler during his time in India (1829-1867). He subsequently sold it to the South Kensington Museum (later renamed the Victoria & Albert Museum) in 1874 for the sum of £6-0-0.



William Tayler was educated in England at Charterhouse and also spent a term at Christ Church, Oxford. He entered service with the East India Company on 30th April 1829, arriving in India in October of the same year. He held various posts in Bengal and was appointed Commissioner of Patna in 1855. During his service, he was able to acquire many objects, including hardstones, relating to the customs and religions of India as well as objects from other parts of South Asia.

He was criticised for his handling of the uprisings in Northern India and was moved to a lesser post before being suspended, ultimately resigning on 29th March 1859. He then practised as an advocate in the law courts of Bengal before returning to England in 1867.

He wrote a book about his experiences, entitled Thirty-eight Years in India, in which he states that "After my return to England, circumstances induced me, though with great reluctance, to part with the collection which is now in the South Kensington Museum".
Summary
The parts for this fly-whisk handle, made in India in the late 18th or early 19th century, have been fashioned from nephrite jade and then carved with external, low-relief decoration. Nephrite is a hard and durable material that requires skill and patience to work and objects such as this would have been made for the elite.
Collection
Accession Number
614:1, 2-1874

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdJune 25, 2009
Record URL