Design thumbnail 1
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Request to view at the Prints & Drawings Study Room, level C , Case T, Shelf 65, Box C

Design

1903 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Design for a child's handkerchief with a decorated border and three oval cartouches containing images of a girl reading, a boy writing and a boy with a writing slate


object details
Category
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
pencil and body colour on paper, mounted onto thin card
Brief Description
Design for a Russian child's educational handkerchief by the Prokhorovskaia Trekhgornia Workshop Association, 1903
Physical Description
Design for a child's handkerchief with a decorated border and three oval cartouches containing images of a girl reading, a boy writing and a boy with a writing slate
Dimensions
  • Height: 35.2cm
  • Width: 35.5cm
Marks and Inscriptions
  • [Inscribed in Russian] (in left hand oval cartouche; writing; body colour)
  • [Inscribed in Russian] (In right hand oval cartouche; writing; body colour)
  • [Inscribed in Russian] (In panel towards top; writing; pencil)
  • [Inscribed in Russian] (In panel towards bottom; writing; pencil)
  • '319/3' (On back, bottom right had side; writing; pencil)
  • [Stamped in Russian] (On back; stamping (marking); ink; 1903)
Historical context
The Russian textile firm Prokhorovskaia Trekhgornia Manufaktura was founded in Moscow by Vassily Ivanovich Prokhorov in 1799. By the end of the next century it was one of the leading textile firms in Russia, winning medals at international exhibitions for high quality textiles. The firm employed the finest designers both in Russia and abroad, especially in France. Amongst the Russian designers were A.N.Medvedskiy, L.P.Khrapunov and N.I.Cherepovkiy. The Prokhorovskaia factory was nationalised in 1918 but continued to produce finely designed textiles until 1931-32 when the fundamental archives of the factory were destroyed as not corresponding to the Communist ideology. Shortly afterwards the Company Drawing Shop which had, for many years, been under O.P.Green (Grune) (1874-1931) was also closed.
Subjects depicted
Collection
Accession Number
E.151-1998

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdJune 28, 2000
Record URL