Tomb of Ilaria del Carretto thumbnail 1
Tomb of Ilaria del Carretto thumbnail 2
+6
images
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Cast Courts, Room 46b, The Weston Cast Court

Tomb of Ilaria del Carretto

Plaster Cast
1406-1407 (sculpted), ca. 1899 (cast)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Plaster cast of the tomb of Ilaria del Carretto, wife of Paolo Guinigi, the wealthy merchant and ruler of Lucca, after the marble original by Jacopo della Quercia, situtated in the North Transept of the cathedral, Lucca.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Plaster cast, painted plaster
Brief Description
Plaster cast, painted plaster, after the original marble tomb of Ilaria del Carretto in the North Transept of Lucca Cathedral, possibly by Jacopo della Quercia, Lucca, 1406-7. Cast by Oronzio Lelli, probably in Siena, around 1889.
Physical Description
Plaster cast of the tomb of Ilaria del Carretto, wife of Paolo Guinigi, the wealthy merchant and ruler of Lucca, after the marble original by Jacopo della Quercia, situtated in the North Transept of the cathedral, Lucca.
Dimensions
  • Base width: 112cm
  • Base length: 250cm
Gallery Label
Ilaria del Carretto was the young wife of Paolo Guinigi, a wealthy merchant and ruler of the city of Lucca. When this cast was made in the 19th century, her tomb was a widely celebrated sculpture. Its idealised portrayal of a beautiful woman who died prematurely appealed to Victorian taste. The dog at Ilaria's feet symbolises fidelity.(2014)
Object history
Purchased from Oronzio Lelli in 1889 for £80
Historical context
The tomb was first attributed to Jacopo della Quercia by Vasari in 1550, and he also identified the subject as Ilaria del Carretto (d. December 1405), wife of Paolo Guinigi, the wealthy merchant and ruler of Lucca. He records that following the expulsion of Paolo Guinigi from Lucca in 1429, the tomb was removed from the Guinigi chapel and destroyed except the effigy and sarcophagus, which are all that remain of this monument. Since this cast was made, in 1899, the coat of arms of the Guinigi family quartered with those of Ilaria del Carretto has been removed, in 1911, and restored to the head of the sarcophagus. Some of the plinth with swags on the side of this sarcophagus appear to be by a different hand and have been tentatively ascribed to Jacopo's collaborator, Francesco Valdambrino, whose presence in Lucca is documented.
Subject depicted
Collection
Accession Number
REPRO.1889-106

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdJune 27, 2000
Record URL