Or are you looking for Search the Archives?

Please complete the form to email this item.

Flagon

Flagon

  • Place of origin:

    London (made)

  • Date:

    29/05/1661-28/05/1662

  • Artist/Maker:

    Dixon, George (maker)

  • Materials and Techniques:

    Silver-gilt; raised, cast and engraved

  • Credit Line:

    Lent by the Rector and Churchwardens of St Mary-le-Bow and United Parishes (from St Augustine and St Faith's, Old Change)

  • Museum number:

    LOAN:ST AUGUSTINE.8

  • Gallery location:

    In Storage

The flagon forms part of the Communion set given for the use of the parish church of St Faith under St Paul's Cathedral. The set includes a Communion cup and paten lid presented in 1664. The silver belongs to St Mary le Bow and United Parishes and is lent to the V&A by the Vicar and Churchwardens

Physical description

Silver-gilt flagon of cylindrical form and C-shaped handle, standing on a spreading foot. Central engraving of the sacred monogram within a rayed surround. Stamped with complete set of London hallmarks, bears inscriptions detailing donor, weight and church recipient, England (London), 1661-62

Place of Origin

London (made)

Date

29/05/1661-28/05/1662

Artist/maker

Dixon, George (maker)

Materials and Techniques

Silver-gilt; raised, cast and engraved

Marks and inscriptions

Inscription engraved beneath base, around underside of rim: 'The gift of M M to ye Parish church of St Faiths under Pauls for ye Sole use of ye Sacrament'

Underside of base of foot engraved with weight, '67 oz 2 dwt'
A later recording of the weight - probably 19th century

Sacred monogram 'IHS' engraved on centre of cylindrical flagon, within a rayed surround
'IHS' a monogram for the name Jesus, denotes 'Iesus Hominum Salvator', or 'Jesus, Saviour of Men'
The engraved sacred monogram was added about 1810.

Rim of flagon stamped with four marks, from left to right, the maker's mark, probably for George Dixon (initials GD, cinquefoil below in heart-shaped shield); leopard's head crowned, for the London assay office; lion passant, the sterling mark; the date letter 'D' for the London assay year from 28 June 1661 to 1662. Same marks, apart from leopard's head crowned, stamped again on flagon lid.

Dimensions

Height: 33.7 cm, Diameter: 21.1 cm of base, Weight: 2,094 g

Object history note

Given to the parish church of St Faith in 1661-1662. St Faith under St Paul's in Castle Baynard Ward was an unusual parish within the City of London. It had been physically removed in 1256 to allow for the eastern expansion of the Old St Paul's Cathedral.St Augustine, Watling Street was an Anglican church which stood just to the east of St Paul's. The church stood on the north side of Watling Street, at the corner with Old Change. After the fire the parish was united with that of St Faith's, whose congregation had previously worshipped in the crypt of St Paul's Cathedral. St Augustine with St Faith, Old Change. This church is situated behind number 35, St. Paul's churchyard, and at the corner of Watling Street.

Historical context note

Used to hold consecrated communion wine for the service of Holy Communion celebrated at the altar of St Faith's Chapel in the Crypt of St Paul's Cathedral

Descriptive line

Silver-gilt flagon of cylindrical form, engraved with sacred monogram, England (London), 1661-62

Bibliographic References (Citation, Note/Abstract, NAL no)

Freshfield, Edwin. The Communion Plate of the Parish Churches in the County of London. London and Middlesex Archaeology Group [printed by Rixon & Arnold], 1894, p. 17.; Victoria and Albert Museum Department of Metalwork Handlist of the Church Plate Study Collections and the Collection of Monumental Brasses in Rooms 83 and 84 Part I Room 84 Church Plate of the British Isles and English Monumental Brasses p.17
David Mitchell, Silversmiths in Elizabethan and Stuart London, 2017, p.310

Labels and date

FLAGON
Silver-gilt
LONDON Hallmark for 1661-2.
Maker's mark GS, a mullet below.
The foot is engraved 'The gift of M M to ye Parish church of St Faiths under Pauls for ye Sole use of ye Sacrament'. The engraved sacred monogram was added about 1810. A communion cup and paten lid were also presented about 1664 to the same church and are shown in this case.
Lent by the Vicar and Churchwardens of St.mary-le-Bow and United Parishes (from St Augustine and St Faith's, Old Change), London. No. 8. [1980]

Materials

Silver; Gold

Techniques

Raising; Casting; Gilding; Engraving

Categories

Metalwork; Religion; Christianity

Collection

Metalwork Collection

Large image request

Please confirm you are using these images within the following terms and conditions, by acknowledging each of the following key points:

Please let us know how you intend to use the images you will be downloading.