Pendant

1814-1832 (made)
Pendant thumbnail 1
Not currently on display at the V&A

Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

The traditional jewellery of Belgium is similar in many ways to that of its neighbours: Normandy and the Catholic parts of the southern Netherlands. This pendant, made from pierced silver set with diamonds in the shape of a crowned heart, was the most distinctive piece.

This kind of jewellery was highly esteemed in Britain in the second half of the 19th century, when this piece was acquired by the V&A as part of a small representative collection.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Pierced silver with gold facings set with rose-cut diamonds
Brief Description
Pierced silver pendant shaped like a crowned heart with gold facings set with diamonds, Belgium, 1814-1832.
Physical Description
Three-part openwork silver pendant set with rose-cut diamonds in cut-down settings. The upper part is crown-shaped with a gold-fronted band across its base and a ring at the top for suspension. There is a gold ring threaded through the suspension ring. The lower part is heart-shaped, with a honey-coloured diamond, in a raised conical setting on a gilt base, hanging in a space in its centre. The parts are attached to each other by hooks on the back.
Dimensions
  • Length: 72mm
  • Width: 40mm
  • Depth: 8mm
Marks and Inscriptions
  • Branch of foliage in a shield-shaped frame. (On front, on suspension loop at top.)
  • Gothic letter on a crescent in a circular frame. (On front, on suspension loop at top.)
  • A vertical lozenge followed by 'S' or '5' in a horizontal hexagonal frame. (On front, on suspension loop at top, and on the back, on the hook between the two main parts.)
Subject depicted
Summary
The traditional jewellery of Belgium is similar in many ways to that of its neighbours: Normandy and the Catholic parts of the southern Netherlands. This pendant, made from pierced silver set with diamonds in the shape of a crowned heart, was the most distinctive piece.



This kind of jewellery was highly esteemed in Britain in the second half of the 19th century, when this piece was acquired by the V&A as part of a small representative collection.

Collection
Accession Number
MET.LOST.2390

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdJune 24, 2009
Record URL