- Credit Line:
The Arthur James Collection, bequeathed by his wife
- Museum number:
- Gallery location:
On display at Cliffe Castle Museum, Keighley
On loan to Cliffe Castle Museum.
Writing cabinet, marquetry of hare wood, holly and other woods. Mounts of gilt brass (ormolu). The top is of mottled red and yellow marble (replacement) of rectangular form with canted front corners. Below a gilt brass frieze (front and ends). The hinged fall front is lined with green leather and gives access to: a double partition; single partition; pair of drawers, and a partition flanked by a pair of drawers. Below are cupboard doors giving access to: a shelf; column of two drawers, and a fall front partition.
The interior is veneered with tulip wood. The front and ends are decorated with a marquetry design of rosettes in circles.
The maker's name 'M.CARLIN' is impressed twice in the wood at the top, near the front corners.
Marks and inscriptions
Height: 132.1 cm, Width: 91.4 cm, Depth: 43.2 cm
French, 1770-80, stamped M. Carlin, 76/1154
Harewood; Tulip wood; Gilt brass; Marble; Leather
Furniture and Woodwork Collection