Pair of hall chairs
- Place of origin:
- Materials and Techniques:
- Credit Line:
Bequeathed by Lady B.R.F. Henriques
- Museum number:
- Gallery location:
On display at Hillsborough Castle, Northern Ireland 
On loan to Hillsborough Castle, County Down, Northern Ireland.
Hall chairs, a pair. Mahogany. The back of scimitar form, supported by "C" scrolls, enclosing a roundel with a painted crest of a wyvern. Mahogany seat supported at the rear by plain, backward-curving, and at the front by round, tapering, reeded, legs. Wooden studs at the front corners.
Place of Origin
Materials and Techniques
Height: 83.8 cm From grey file, Width: 38.7 cm From grey file, Depth: 50.8 cm From grey file
Object history note
Bequeathed by Lady Henriques, the acquisition recorded on Nominal File MA/1/H1634. The hall chairs came from 37 Eaton Square, London, where Lady Henriques had a collection of furniture made between 1790 and 1820, including a number of pieces in satinwood. She was the widow of Sir Philip Gutterez Henriques (1867-1950), a barrister and civil servant. Their only son, Philip, was killed in action in 1815, and from 1930, Lady Henriques had been seeking to make bequests to the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford and the V&A of pieces from her collection.
Pair of hall chairs, mahogany with painted image of a wyvern, English, ca. 1830
Furniture and Woodwork Collection