Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Ceramics, Room 139, The Curtain Foundation Gallery

Tazza

1867 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place of origin

Joseph (Giuseppe) Devers (1823-1882) was born in Turin and trained as a painter and sculptor. After some work in Italy he moved to Paris in 1849 to further his training under Ary Scheffer and François Rude. He established his own pottery in rue Hallé, Montrouge, Paris, working there from 1853-1871, when he returned to Turin as Professor of Ceramics at the Accademia Albertina.

Devers designed both decorative wares and architectural ceramics, such as for the churches of La Trinité and St-Amboise, with panels made at the specialist tileworks of Maison Pichenot-Loebnitz. Throughout his career, his classical training underpinned his designs and he was much influenced by the faience of the 15th century Della Robbia family of Florence. He was especially attracted to the rich background colours of blue or gold and frequently used motifs associated with Italian or French Renaissance ornament. This jug imitates a Venetian type and matches the mid-19th century fashionable interest in historical styles.

Object details

Categories
Object type
Materials and techniques
Earthenware, painted
Brief description
Tazza, earthenware with painted decoration, made by Joseph (Giuseppe) Devers, France (Paris), 1867
Physical description
Tazza, with openwork stand and cupid handles in 'Henri II' style, painted with elaborate floral scroll pattern
Dimensions
  • Diameter: 16cm
  • Height: 13cm
Marks and inscriptions
'J.D.' within an oval, impressed on reverse; 'GD' painted on obverse in the centre of the bowl (Impressed and painted)
Summary
Joseph (Giuseppe) Devers (1823-1882) was born in Turin and trained as a painter and sculptor. After some work in Italy he moved to Paris in 1849 to further his training under Ary Scheffer and François Rude. He established his own pottery in rue Hallé, Montrouge, Paris, working there from 1853-1871, when he returned to Turin as Professor of Ceramics at the Accademia Albertina.

Devers designed both decorative wares and architectural ceramics, such as for the churches of La Trinité and St-Amboise, with panels made at the specialist tileworks of Maison Pichenot-Loebnitz. Throughout his career, his classical training underpinned his designs and he was much influenced by the faience of the 15th century Della Robbia family of Florence. He was especially attracted to the rich background colours of blue or gold and frequently used motifs associated with Italian or French Renaissance ornament. This jug imitates a Venetian type and matches the mid-19th century fashionable interest in historical styles.
Collection
Accession number
707-1869

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest feedback

Record createdJune 24, 2009
Record URL
Download as: JSONIIIF Manifest