The Intruder

Print
1848 (engraved)
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Prints & Drawings Study Room, level C
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

The painting from which this print was taken was painted by Sir Edwin Henry Landseer when he was only seventeen. This is one of four engravings that Henry Beckwith made after paintings by Landseer for 'The Art Union Monthly Journal', which later became 'The Art Journal', the most important Victorian journal on art. 'The Art Union Montly Journal' was founded in 1839 by Hodgson & Graves. In 1848 Hodgson & Graves joined forces with the London publisher George Virtue and the periodical was renamed 'The Art Journal'.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
etching and engraving on steel
Brief Description
'The Intruder' by H.G. Beckwith; steel engraving from 'The Art Union', Volume X; 1848
Physical Description
The image is after a painting by Sir Edwin Henry Landseer. It shows a dog and a cat in a barn. The dog has chased a cat onto a windowsill. In the foreground is a trap with a rat caught in it. There is a view through the barn door of a landscape.
Dimensions
  • Size of image height: 17.9cm
  • Size of image width: 22.6cm
  • Size of sheet height: 22.2cm
  • Size of sheet width: 29.4cm
Marks and Inscriptions
  • THE INTRUDER Engraved by H.G. Beckwith from a Painting by Edwin Landseer, R.A. in the collection of Sir Philip-de-Malpas Grey Egerton, Bart. M.P. Published Exclusively in the Art Journal (Printed below the image)
  • Printed by E. Brown[?] (In the bottom lefthand corner of the sheet)
Historical context
The painting from which this print is taken was in the collection of Sir Philip-de-Malpas Grey Egerton, Bart. M.P.
Subjects depicted
Summary
The painting from which this print was taken was painted by Sir Edwin Henry Landseer when he was only seventeen. This is one of four engravings that Henry Beckwith made after paintings by Landseer for 'The Art Union Monthly Journal', which later became 'The Art Journal', the most important Victorian journal on art. 'The Art Union Montly Journal' was founded in 1839 by Hodgson & Graves. In 1848 Hodgson & Graves joined forces with the London publisher George Virtue and the periodical was renamed 'The Art Journal'.
Bibliographic Reference
'The Art Union', Vol.X, 1848
Collection
Accession Number
E.228-1999

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdMarch 9, 2000
Record URL