Sprang thumbnail 1
Sprang thumbnail 2
+1
images
Not currently on display at the V&A

Sprang

430-620 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

This fragment of sprang headwear was fund at Ehnasya, Heracleopolis Magna in Lower Egypt during the excavations in 1903-1904 by W. M. Flinders Petrie - often called the father of English egyptology. When Petrie excavated at Ehnasya there were still big mounds belonging to the Roman, Byzantine and Islamic Periods. Petrie excavated some of the houses and the coins found in these houses seem to offer a rough guide to the dates for the objects. The latest of these houses date to the seventh century AD (coins of Heraclius).
The place is known today as Ihnasiya Umm al-Kimam.

Linen sprang caps were exclusively produced with open patterns, and sometimes combined with decorative coloured threads of wool. They enjoyed widespread popularity in Egypt but are less frequently preserved due to the combination of the fibres.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Linen and wool in sprang technique
Brief Description
430-620, Egyptian; Ehnasya
Physical Description
Fragment of sprang hairnet: panels of dark blue wool alternating with panels of undyed linen; by interlinking the threads in different sequences the size and pattern of the mesh changes in the contrasting panels. Traces of red wool.
Dimensions
  • Height: 29.2cm
  • Width: 11cm
Credit line
Given by the Egypt Exploration Fund
Object history
Excavated by Petrie in 1903-1904, sponsored by the Egypt Exploration Fund. When Petrie excavated at Ihnasya there were still big mounds belonging to the Roman, Byzantine and Islamic Periods. Petrie excavated some of the houses and gave them letters in his publication. The coins found in these houses seem to offer a rough guide to the dates for the objects found in the houses. The latest of these houses date to the seventh century AD (coins of Heraclius).
Production
Found at Ihnasya, Heracleopolos Magna during 1903-1904 excavations
Summary
This fragment of sprang headwear was fund at Ehnasya, Heracleopolis Magna in Lower Egypt during the excavations in 1903-1904 by W. M. Flinders Petrie - often called the father of English egyptology. When Petrie excavated at Ehnasya there were still big mounds belonging to the Roman, Byzantine and Islamic Periods. Petrie excavated some of the houses and the coins found in these houses seem to offer a rough guide to the dates for the objects. The latest of these houses date to the seventh century AD (coins of Heraclius).

The place is known today as Ihnasiya Umm al-Kimam.



Linen sprang caps were exclusively produced with open patterns, and sometimes combined with decorative coloured threads of wool. They enjoyed widespread popularity in Egypt but are less frequently preserved due to the combination of the fibres.
Collection
Accession Number
1197-1904

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdJune 24, 2009
Record URL