Architectural Fittings thumbnail 1
Architectural Fittings thumbnail 2
Not currently on display at the V&A

Architectural Fittings

1780-1800
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

This capital was removed from a house which formed part one of the eighteenth-century terraces on Great George Street, London, prior to its demolition in 1910. No. 29, from which this capital comes, was built c.1780. It formed part of an alcove in the front room of the ground floor, a room considered by the museum to be the best and most complete surviving example of this period in the terrace. Originally painted, the paint has been remvoved to reveal the fine quality of the softwood carving.

As well as the capital, the museum also acquired from No. 29 the column on which it sat, a door frame, a section of a frieze, an architrave soffit, chair rails and skirting rails. Great George Street was redeveloped by H. M. Office of Works, with the building of the New Government Offices between 1899 and 1915 on the North side, and the demolition of much of the South side to create Parliament Square.


object details
Category
Object Type
Parts
This object consists of 7 parts.

  • Door Frame
  • Capital
  • Chair Rail
  • Chair Rail
  • Chair Rail
  • Skirting Rail
  • Skirting Rail
Materials and Techniques
Carved pine; once painted, now stripped
Brief Description
Plaster and wood framework of a doorway from No. 29 George Street, Westminster; English, late 18th century
Physical Description
Framework of a doorway consisting of a cornice with dentel, fluted an dother mouldings; a freize of honeysuckles alternating with vases, with an urn at each side; fluted pilasteres with capitals.
Gallery Label
Corinthian capital About 1780 England (London) Softwood with carved and punched decoration, originally painted From 29 Great George Street, Westminster Museum no. W.5A-1910 This capital does not consist of a single block but is ‘pieced-out’ from sixteen vertical sections, visible from above. These were glued together before carving took place. The joints inside are strengthened with sixteen triangular glued blocks, creating a stable and lightweight structure. A punched background sets off the smooth surfaces of the carved acanthus leaves.(01/12/2012)
Object history
Taken from the front room on the ground floor of no. 29 George Street, Westminster, London.
Summary
This capital was removed from a house which formed part one of the eighteenth-century terraces on Great George Street, London, prior to its demolition in 1910. No. 29, from which this capital comes, was built c.1780. It formed part of an alcove in the front room of the ground floor, a room considered by the museum to be the best and most complete surviving example of this period in the terrace. Originally painted, the paint has been remvoved to reveal the fine quality of the softwood carving.



As well as the capital, the museum also acquired from No. 29 the column on which it sat, a door frame, a section of a frieze, an architrave soffit, chair rails and skirting rails. Great George Street was redeveloped by H. M. Office of Works, with the building of the New Government Offices between 1899 and 1915 on the North side, and the demolition of much of the South side to create Parliament Square.
Collection
Accession Number
W.5-1910

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdJune 24, 2009
Record URL