Or are you looking for Search the Archives?

Please complete the form to email this item.

Bowl

Bowl

  • Place of origin:

    Doccia (made)

  • Date:

    ca. 1859 (made)

  • Artist/Maker:

    Ginori (manufacturer)

  • Materials and Techniques:

    Tin-glazed earthenwaree, painted in blue and lustre

  • Museum number:

    5443-1859

  • Gallery location:

    Ceramics, Room 139, The Curtain Foundation Gallery, case 36, shelf 5

The Ginori company, founded in 1735 in Doccia near Florence, built its reputation on imitations of Italian lustred wares and maiolica of around 1500. Under the Marchese Lorenzo Ginori Lisci (d.1878), director from 1848, the pottery produced designs reflecting more varied and more contemporary tastes but also continued making its successful lustred wares. In 1896 the pottery came under the ownership of Giulio Richard who already owned other factories. Combined, the new company was known as the Società Ceramica Richard-Ginori.

This bowl emulates earlier 16th century lustreware maiolica particularly from Deruta, Gubbio and Faenza where this pattern of overlapping scales was used (a Deruta example in the V&A collection is 228-1885). The size and form of the bowl is closer to Gubbio and Faenza types. The design for this bowl is in the Archivio del Museo di Doccia (inv. no. 2380) factory model 138 pattern number 9. This bowl is an early example of the experimental lustrewares Ginori began producing from 1854-55. The deep scale pattern border was used to decorate other Ginori pieces such as a plate with a central figure of a warrior, 1855 (A gift from Ginori to the Sèvres Factory, Musée National de Céramique, Inv. 57.72) and a plate with a central figure of a man in psuedo-Renaissance costume (Bought by the National Museum of Scotland from the Vienna International Exhibition, 1873. Inv. A 1873.91.2).

This bowl and five other pieces of Ginori were purchased by Henry Cole (1808-82) then Director of the South Kensington Museum (V&A) in 1859 directly from the manufacturer. The pieces are V&A 5443, 5444 and 5445-1859, the ewer is 5446-1859, the other two pieces are plain white water-pots 5448 (& 5449-1859 no longer in the Museum collection). Cole visited Florence in late 1858 and early 1859 to acquire works of art for the collection. He was accompanied by Charles Drury Edward Fortnum (1820-99) a collector and connoisseur who advised Cole on many of the purchases.

Physical description

Dish or bowl of tin-glazed earthenware, 'fish scale' decoration in blue, yellow and red lustre.

Place of Origin

Doccia (made)

Date

ca. 1859 (made)

Artist/maker

Ginori (manufacturer)

Materials and Techniques

Tin-glazed earthenwaree, painted in blue and lustre

Dimensions

Diameter: 23.5 cm

Object history note

Bought from the maker, the 'Marquess Ginori, Florence'

Descriptive line

Bowl, tin-glazed earthenware painted in blue and lustre, by Richard Ginori, Italy (Doccia), ca. 1859

Bibliographic References (Citation, Note/Abstract, NAL no)

Wainwright, Clive,
'Shopping for South Kensington, Fortnum and Henry Cole in Florence 1858-1859
Journal of the History ofCollections u no 2 (1999) pp 171-185. pp.174-175. Fig.2.
Ravanelli Guidotti, Carmen, Ceramiche occidentali del Museo Civico Medievale di Bologna, Bologna 1985. p.78.
Curnow, C: Italian Maiolica in the National Museums of Scotland, National Museums of Scotland, 1992. pp.99-100. Cat.128.
Rucellai, Oliva, La manifattura Ginori nell'800. Lo sviluppo industriale e le 'ceramiche artistiche', in Quando la manifattura diventa arte 2005, pp.31-52.
Societa Ceramica Richard-Ginori. design drawing inv. no. 2380 (Archivio del Museo di Doccia).
123. Bowl with overlapping scales
circa 1859
maiolica painted in blue with yellow and red lustre
diam. 23,5 cm
factory model “138”, pattern number “9”
inv. 5443-1859
purchase: Ginori Factory, £ 3.2.8
The decoration on this bowl emulates earlier 16th-century lustre ware maiolica particularly from Deruta and Gubbio where patterns of overlapping scales were used. The size and form of the bowl is closer to Gubbio types. The design for this bowl is in the archives of the Museo di Doccia (inv. 2380) factory model “138” pattern number “9”. This bowl is an early example of the experimental lustre wares the Ginori factory began producing from1854-1855 (RAVANELLIGUIDOTTI 1985,p. 78). The deep scale pattern border was used to decorate other Ginori pieces such as a plate with a central figure of a warrior, 1855, a gift from Ginori to the Sèvres Factory (O. Rucellai, in THE REVIVAL OF ITALIAN MAIOLICA 2011, p. 162, cat. 2) and a plate with a central figure of a man in pseudo-Renaissance costume, bought by the National Museum of Scotland from the Vienna International Exhibition, 1873 (CURNOW, 1992, p. 99-100, cat. 128). Henry Cole, then Director of the South Kensington Museum (V&A), visited Florence in late 1858 and early 1859 to acquire works of art for the collection. He was accompanied by Charles Drury Edward Fortnum, a collector and connoisseur who advised Cole on many of the purchases. Cole purchased this bowl and five other maiolica pieces by Ginori in 1859, directly from the manufacturer: three of them are still in the museum collection, see cat. 121 and 124.
R.W.
Bibliography:WAINWRIGHT 1999, p. 174-175, fig.
2; RUCELLAI 2005b, p. 43, fig. 9

p. 133-134, Cat. 123
Frescobaldi Malenchini, Livia ed. With Balleri, Rita and Rucellai, Oliva, ‘Amici di Doccia Quaderni, Numero VII, 2013, The Victoria and Albert Museum Collection’, Edizioni Polistampa, Firenze, 2014

Production Note

Factory model 138 decoration number 9

Materials

Earthenware; Tin glaze

Techniques

Painted; Lustre

Subjects depicted

Scale pattern

Categories

Ceramics; Earthenware; Maiolica

Collection

Ceramics Collection

Large image request

Please confirm you are using these images within the following terms and conditions, by acknowledging each of the following key points:

Please let us know how you intend to use the images you will be downloading.