- Place of origin:
- Museum number:
- Gallery location:
FOUR TILES. Glazed earthenware: conventional leaves in bright green and dark blue. From Cairo. Syrian. 9 ¾ in. sq. Bought (St. Maurice Collⁿ), 1l. 10s.
Description taken from ‘List of Objects in the Art Division, South Kensington Museum acquired during the Year 1884’. London: Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1885. p. 95
Place of Origin
Height: 24.7 cm, Width: 24.9 cm, Depth: 1.9 cm
Object history note
Bought from the collection of Gaston de Saint-Maurice (1831-1905) in 1884. Saint-Maurice displayed his extensive art collection at the 1878 Paris exhibition, in a gallery entitled L'Egypte des Khalifes. This was part of an official sequence of displays celebrating the history of Egypt, presented by the Egyptian state at this international event. Saint-Maurice held a position at the Khedival court, and had lived in Cairo in 1868-1878. Following the exhibition, Saint-Maurice offered his collection for sale to the South Kensington Museum (today the V&A).
Glazed earthenware tile from a set of four, ornamented by leaves in green and blue, probably Damascus, Syria, 1500-1700