Westminster Abbey and Parliament House from the Thames thumbnail 1
Westminster Abbey and Parliament House from the Thames thumbnail 2
+1
images
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Request to view at the Prints & Drawings Study Room, level H , Case PD, Shelf 311

Westminster Abbey and Parliament House from the Thames

Drawing
ca.1515-1532 (drawn)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Topographical depiction of Westminster Abbey and Parliament House, from the Thames


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Pen and ink
Brief Description
Anon., drawing of Westminster Abbey and Parliament House from the Thames, probably ca.1515-1532
Physical Description
Topographical depiction of Westminster Abbey and Parliament House, from the Thames
Dimensions
  • Height: 10.1cm
  • Width: 17.4cm
Credit line
From the Dacre, Strawberry Hill, Wellesley, Gardner and Coates collections
Object history
Thomas Lord Dacre; given by him to Horace Walpole, 1761; purchased by the Rev. Dr Henry Wellesley (1794-1866), collector of old master drawings and topographical prints, presumably from the Strawberry Hill sale in 1842; John Edmund Gardner (1819-1899), collector of drawings and prints of London; in 1910 Gardner's collection sold en bloc to Edward Coates, MP (d.1921); purchased by V&A at Coates's sale (Sotheby's) in 1924.
Production
This drawing, with E.127-1924, was previously attributed to Wenceslaus Hollar (1607-1677); it was assumed that they were made in preparation for Hollar's larged etched views of London. Architectural details depicted in the Tower of London drawing suggest, however, that they were actually made in the early sixteenth century. A somewhat similar drawing in the Louvre of Westminster Hall and the surrounding buildings has tentatively been attributed to Lucas Cornelis de Kock (1495-1552).
Bibliographic References
  • Owens, Susan, The Art of Drawing British Masters and Methods since 1600, V&A Publishing, London, 2013, p. 28, fig. 11
  • Victoria and Albert Museum, Department of Engraving, Illustration and Design & Department of Paintings, Accessions 1924, published under the Authority of the Board of Education, London, 1926.
Collection
Accession Number
E.128-1924

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdJune 4, 2009
Record URL