Tile thumbnail 1
Tile thumbnail 2
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Ceramics, Room 144, The Headley Trust Gallery

Tile

ca.1939 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

This is one of a series of moulded relief tiles designed by Harold Stabler for use on London Underground stations. This design, incorporating five martletts, is the arms of the City of Westminster.

The tiles were commissioned from Carter & Co. by Frank Pick who was vice-chairman of London Passenger Transport Board and president of the Design and Industries Association. They were used mainly on the City Line improvements carried out in the 1930s and may still be seen there.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
earthenware, moulded and spray-glazed
Brief Description
Tile, depicting 5 martletts, designed by Harold Stabler for London Transport, Carter & Co., about 1939
Physical Description
Tile; heraldic design consisting of 5 martlets in a 2,1,2 formation, in relief on a beige ground. The arms of the City of Westminster.
Dimensions
  • Squared width: 15.2cm
Production typeLimited edition
Marks and Inscriptions
"S" (moulded in relief to front of tile. Mark of Harold Stabler.)
Credit line
Given by London Transport
Object history
Commissioned by Frank Pick, vice-chairman of London Passenger Tramsport Board. Given by London Transport
Subject depicted
Summary
This is one of a series of moulded relief tiles designed by Harold Stabler for use on London Underground stations. This design, incorporating five martletts, is the arms of the City of Westminster.



The tiles were commissioned from Carter & Co. by Frank Pick who was vice-chairman of London Passenger Transport Board and president of the Design and Industries Association. They were used mainly on the City Line improvements carried out in the 1930s and may still be seen there.
Bibliographic References
  • Architectural Review, May, 1939, p.268.ill.
  • Hawkins, Jennifer, The Poole Potteries (London: Barrie & Jenkins, 1980), pp.138-9. p.133.ill.
Collection
Accession Number
C.31-1979

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdMay 18, 2009
Record URL