- Place of origin:
- Materials and Techniques:
- Museum number:
- Gallery location:
Ceramics, Room 143, The Timothy Sainsbury Gallery, case 10, shelf 2
This beautifully painted dish belongs to a group of works painted in near-monochrome blue, sometimes with lustre. Two of these dishes are marked on the back with the letters Co, probably the mark of the Deruta potter called Nicola Francioli, known as Co. This accomplished master was also probably the painter of the floor tiles that once adorned the church of S. Francesco in Deruta.
The decoration of this bowl, with spaces left blank by the potter, may suggest that it was meant to receive an additional lustre decoration and a third firing.
painted in blue only. In the middle a naked boy holding a sail on a galloping horse; on the rim a symmetrical design of scrolls ending in dolphins heads and flowers. and a medallion bust of a Roman emperor. On the back of the rim, intersecting pointed petal-motives.
Place of Origin
Materials and Techniques
Diameter: 22.5 cm
Broad-rimmed bowl painted in blue with a naked boy holding a sail on a galloping horse, Deruta, probably painted by Nicola Francioli called Co, 1520-30, tin-glazed earthenware
Bibliographic References (Citation, Note/Abstract, NAL no)
Rackham, Bernard. Catalogue of Italian maiolica. London : H.M.S.O., 1977.
Rackham, Bernard. Catalogue of Italian Maiolica, London : H.M.S.O., 1977
Attributed on stylistic grounds to Nicola Francioli known as Co, the talented painter previously known as 'The master of the Diruta plate'