Vase

1869-1876 (made)
Vase thumbnail 1
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Ceramics, Room 139, The Curtain Foundation Gallery
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Vase of unglazed red earthenware with applied decoration, partly on a light red ground, painted in light blue enamel and gilded. In medallions on either side are busts of Apollo and Athena. Of elongated ovoid form with long funnel-shaped neck, spreading foot and two handles in the form of female busts terminating in scrolls. Round the shoulder is a row of floral sprays and round the base is a border of acanthus foliage.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Earthenware painted with enamels and gilded
Brief Description
Vase of unglazed red earthenware with applied decoration, painted with enamels and gilded, made by Watcombe Terra-Cotta Co., Torquay, 1869-1876.
Physical Description
Vase of unglazed red earthenware with applied decoration, partly on a light red ground, painted in light blue enamel and gilded. In medallions on either side are busts of Apollo and Athena. Of elongated ovoid form with long funnel-shaped neck, spreading foot and two handles in the form of female busts terminating in scrolls. Round the shoulder is a row of floral sprays and round the base is a border of acanthus foliage.
Dimensions
  • Height: 37.1cm
  • Width: 13cm
Marks and Inscriptions
  • 'WATCOMBE / TORQUAY' (Maker's mark printed on base in black)
  • '2317' (Painted on base)
Gallery Label
Vase made by Watcombe Terra-Cotta Co., Torquay , Devon, England, 3732-1901 Given by the Watcombe Terracotta Clay Company(23/05/2008)
Credit line
Transferred from the Museum of Practical Geology, Jermyn Street
Object history
Given by the Watcombe Terra Cotta Clay Company. Transferred from the Museum of Practical Geology, Jermyn Street.
Subjects depicted
Bibliographic Reference
Jervis, Simon, Victorian and Edwardian decorative art: the Handley-Read collection, London, Royal Academy of Arts, 1972
Collection
Accession Number
3732-1901

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdMarch 31, 2008
Record URL