- Place of origin:
- Materials and Techniques:
- Credit Line:
Given by Emile Peyre
- Museum number:
- Gallery location:
Medieval & Renaissance, Room 62, The Foyle Foundation Gallery, case SCREEN2, shelf WW, box EXP
Carved panels were used to decorate both fixed woodwork (like panelled walls or fireplaces) and portable furniture (like chests or cupboards). A great variety of renaissance designs was used all over northern Europe often in conjunction with traditional linenfold ornament.
To make a panel, usually a single split (or riven) oak board was used, and the shallow carved ornament created using chisels and sometimes a plane. The back of the panel would be left undecorated, and the edges worked all round to form a uniform narrow tongue. These edges of the panels were held in grooves cut along the edges of an oak framework jointed together. This method, known as panelling, was relatively lightweight, but also durable since the panels, not needing to be fixed with nails, were unlikely to warp or split.
This panel was formerly in the collection of Emile Peyre (1824-1904), a notable Parisian collector of French medieval and renaissance artefacts. In 1895 the South Kensington Museum (renamed the V&A in 1900), bought over 200 pieces of furniture and woodwork from him, (as well as sculpture and metalwork), at a cost of £11,878. 16s. 9d. After the lengthy financial negotiations for the purchase were completed, Peyre presented as a gift, this and another panel to the Museum.
Carved oak panel with renaissance style vases. Carved in shallow relief with a raised flat border, with three vases placed one above the other, and united by a long foliated stem. The central vase is carved with a ram's head, and the others with gadroons. Some punching has been carried out on the vase handles. Various small holes on the reverse
Place of Origin
Materials and Techniques
Height: 44 cm, Width: 19.3 cm, Thickness: 1.1 cm
Object history note
Given by Emile Peyre
In the extensive correspondence relating to the purchase by the Museum of woodwork from M. Peyre, it is recorded that in March 1895 C.P.Clarke negotiated with Peyre to exchange certain items of 'no educational value' for others more desirable. Peyre had resisted the Museum's wishes to pick and choose from the list. Once an agreement had been reached on the items M Peyre presented in addition two carved panels, 895-1895 and 896-1895.
Historical context note
Carved panels, mounted in a framwork were used to decorate and insulate the walls of fashionable rooms and on furniture in northern Europe. A great variety of renaissance designs was used, often in conjunction with traditional linenfold ornament.
French, 1500-50. Ex Peyre Collection.
Woodwork; Renaissance (French)
Furniture and Woodwork Collection