Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Request to view at the Prints & Drawings Study Room, level D , Case FF, Shelf 18, Box A
This object, or the text that describes it, is deemed offensive and discriminatory. We are committed to improving our records, and work is ongoing.


A Plan of the Town of St Jago de la Vega, in the Island of Jamaica

Print
1786 (printed and published)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

This map from 1786 shows the street plan of the town of St Jago de la Vega in Jamaica. Later named Spanish Town, St Jago was once the English capital of Jamaica. This map, dedicated to Sir John Dalling by John Pitcairne, indicates the ownership of specific areas and has a numbered key which shows the location of the main public buildings. An area labelled ‘The Negroe Market’ indicates the town’s role in the slave trade at this time.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Engraving on paper
Brief Description
Simpson, 'A Plan of the Town St Jago de la Vega, in the Island of Jamaica', engraving; London, 1786
Physical Description
A map of a town by the sea, which has been cut at the right hand side. It shows the principal roads, the port and areas of open ground. Top left is a coat of arms, top right an image of the King's house and public offices, and lower a right a dedication.
Dimensions
  • Height: 44.5cm
  • Width: 54.7cm
Marks and Inscriptions
  • Simpson sculp.
  • Engraved, printed and published by W. Hinton, No.5, Sweetings Alley, Royal Exchange, London, Jany 3d 1786
Gallery Label
This map, dedicated to Sir John Dalling by John Pitcairne, indicates the ownership of specific areas and shows the location of the main public buildings. An area labelled 'The Negroe Market' indicates the town's role in the slave trade at this time.(2007)
Object history
NB: The term "negro" was used historically to describe people of black African heritage but, since the 1960s, has fallen from usage and, increasingly, is considered offensive. The term is repeated here in its original historical context.
Subjects depicted
Place Depicted
Summary
This map from 1786 shows the street plan of the town of St Jago de la Vega in Jamaica. Later named Spanish Town, St Jago was once the English capital of Jamaica. This map, dedicated to Sir John Dalling by John Pitcairne, indicates the ownership of specific areas and has a numbered key which shows the location of the main public buildings. An area labelled ‘The Negroe Market’ indicates the town’s role in the slave trade at this time.
Collection
Accession Number
E.71-1940

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdJuly 18, 2007
Record URL