Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Request to view at the Prints & Drawings Study Room, level F , Case X, Shelf 311, Box I

Lord Elcho

Photograph
1865 (photographed)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Julia Margaret Cameron’s first photographic subjects were family and friends. These early portraits reveal how she experimented with dramatic lighting and close-up compositions, features that would become her signature style.

In May 1865 Cameron used her sister’s London home, Little Holland House, as her photographic headquarters. Her sister Sara Prinsep, together with her husband Thoby, had established a cultural salon there, centred around the artist George Frederic Watts. Cameron photographed numerous members of their circle on the lawn. These included artists, writers, collectors and Henry Cole, the director of the South Kensington Museum.

Cameron generally depicted men in ordinary clothes or draped in velvet to isolate their head and shoulders. Yet here she photographed Lord Elcho dressed in his Volunteer Force uniform, his hand resting on the hilt of a sword. Elcho collected Venetian paintings and lent works to the South Kensington Museum.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Albumen print from wet collodion glass negative
Brief Description
Photograph by Julia Margaret Cameron, 'Lord Elcho', albumen print, 1865
Physical Description
Half-lenght portrait of a man (Lord Elcho) wearing an uniform, looking to his right.
Dimensions
  • Image height: 25cm
  • Image width: 20cm
  • Mount height: 29.5cm
  • Mount width: 22.5cm
Style
Marks and Inscriptions
  • Lord Elcho (Recto mount in brown ink by JMC at lower centre)
  • From Life Julia Margaret Cameron (Recto mount in brown ink by JMC at lower centre)
  • X.311 45138 Photographs by Mrs. Julia Margaret Cameron, c. 1864-75. Lord Elcho. (Museum label pasted to mount)
Gallery Label
Julia Margaret Cameron Victoria and Albert Museum Lord Elcho 1865 Cameron generally depicted men in ordinary clothes or draped in velvet to isolate their head and shoulders. Yet here she photographed Lord Elcho dressed in his Volunteer Force uniform, his hand resting on the hilt of a sword. Elcho collected Venetian paintings and lent works to the South Kensington Museum. Given by or purchased from Julia Margaret Cameron, September 1865 V&A: 45138(18 November 2014 – 25 September 2016)
Credit line
Given by or Purchased from Julia Margaret Cameron, 27 September 1865
Object history
Julia Margaret Cameron (1815–79) was one of the most important and innovative photographers of the 19th century. Her photographs were rule-breaking: purposely out of focus, and often including scratches, smudges and other traces of the artist’s process. Best known for her powerful portraits, she also posed her sitters – friends, family and servants – as characters from biblical, historical or allegorical stories.



Born in Calcutta on 11 June 1815, the fourth of seven sisters, her father was an East India Company official and her mother descended from French aristocracy. Educated mainly in France, Cameron returned to India in 1834.



In 1842, the British astronomer Sir John Herschel (1792 – 1871) introduced Cameron to photography, sending her examples of the new invention. They had met in 1836 while Cameron was convalescing from an illness in the Cape of Good Hope, South Africa. He remained a life-long friend and correspondent on technical photographic matters. That same year she met Charles Hay Cameron (1795–1880), 20 years her senior, a reformer of Indian law and education. They married in Calcutta in 1838 and she became a prominent hostess in colonial society. A decade later, the Camerons moved to England. By then they had four children; two more were born in England. Several of Cameron’s sisters were already living there, and had established literary, artistic and social connections. The Camerons eventually settled in Freshwater, on the Isle of Wight.



At the age of 48 Cameron received a camera as a gift from her daughter and son-in-law. It was accompanied by the words, ‘It may amuse you, Mother, to try to photograph during your solitude at Freshwater.’ Cameron had compiled albums and even printed photographs before, but her work as a photographer now began in earnest.



The Camerons lived at Freshwater until 1875, when they moved to Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) where Charles Cameron had purchased coffee and rubber plantations, managed under difficult agricultural and financial conditions by three of their sons. Cameron continued her photographic practice at her new home yet her output decreased significantly and only a small body of photographs from this time remains. After moving to Ceylon the Camerons made only one more visit to England in May 1878. Julia Margaret Cameron died after a brief illness in Ceylon in 1879.



Cameron’s relationship with the Victoria and Albert Museum dates to the earliest years of her photographic career. The first museum exhibition of Cameron's work was held in 1865 at the South Kensington Museum, London (now the V&A). The South Kensington Museum was not only the sole museum to exhibit Cameron’s work in her lifetime, but also the institution that collected her photographs most extensively in her day. In 1868 the Museum gave Cameron the use of two rooms as a portrait studio, perhaps qualifying her as its first artist-in-residence. Today the V&A’s Cameron collection includes photographs acquired directly from the artist, others collected later from various sources, and five letters from Cameron to Sir Henry Cole (1808–82), the Museum’s founding director and an early supporter of photography.

Production
This photograph was taken at Little Holland House Lawn as inscribed on a print at the J. Paul Getty Museum (Overstone album 84.XZ.186.90)
Subjects depicted
Summary
Julia Margaret Cameron’s first photographic subjects were family and friends. These early portraits reveal how she experimented with dramatic lighting and close-up compositions, features that would become her signature style.



In May 1865 Cameron used her sister’s London home, Little Holland House, as her photographic headquarters. Her sister Sara Prinsep, together with her husband Thoby, had established a cultural salon there, centred around the artist George Frederic Watts. Cameron photographed numerous members of their circle on the lawn. These included artists, writers, collectors and Henry Cole, the director of the South Kensington Museum.



Cameron generally depicted men in ordinary clothes or draped in velvet to isolate their head and shoulders. Yet here she photographed Lord Elcho dressed in his Volunteer Force uniform, his hand resting on the hilt of a sword. Elcho collected Venetian paintings and lent works to the South Kensington Museum.
Bibliographic References
  • Julian Cox and Colin Ford, et al. Julia Margaret Cameron: the complete photographs. London : Thames and Hudson, 2003. Cat. no. 659, p. 320.
  • Weiss, Marta. Julia Margaret Cameron: Photographs to electrify you with delight and startle the world. London: MACK, 2015, p. 59.
Collection
Accession Number
45138

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdDecember 20, 2006
Record URL