Or are you looking for Search the Archives?

Please complete the form to email this item.

Copy of a Statue - Regilindis, wife of Hermann, Margrave of Meissen
  • Regilindis, wife of Hermann, Margrave of Meissen
    Künsthardt, F.
  • Enlarge image

Regilindis, wife of Hermann, Margrave of Meissen

  • Object:

    Copy of a Statue

  • Place of origin:

    Hildesheim (Copy, made)
    Germany (Original, made)

  • Date:

    ca. 1875 (made)
    ca. 1250-60 (made)

  • Artist/Maker:

    Künsthardt, F. (caster)

  • Materials and Techniques:

    Painted plaster cast

  • Museum number:

    REPRO.1875-17

  • Gallery location:

    Cast Courts, The Ruddock Family Cast Court, Room 46A, case FS, shelf S

Regilinda was married to Hermann, Margrave of Meissen. She is commemorated in a sandstone statue in Naumburg Cathedral, made 200 years after her death and copied here. This was one of 12 ‘founder’ portraits commissioned for the cathedral. A cast of the statue depicting Regilinda’s brother-in-law, Ekkehard, also from Naumburg Cathedral, is displayed nearby.

Physical description

Plaster cast of a statue of Regilindis, wife of Hermann, Margrave of Meissen.

Place of Origin

Hildesheim (Copy, made)
Germany (Original, made)

Date

ca. 1875 (made)
ca. 1250-60 (made)

Artist/maker

Künsthardt, F. (caster)

Materials and Techniques

Painted plaster cast

Dimensions

Height: 198.5 cm, Width: 61.5 cm

Object history note

Copy of a statue of Regilinda, wife of Hermann, Margrave of Meissen, made in plaster by F. Künstardt in Hildesheim about 1875 and purchased from F. Künstardt in 1875 for £7 10s. The original was made in coloured sandstone in Germany and has been attributed ot the Naumburg Master. The statue is from Naumburg Cathedral in Germany.

Historical context note

Making plaster copies is a centuries-old tradition that reached the height of its popularity during the 19th century. The V&A's casts are of large-scale architectural and sculptural works as well as small scale, jewelled book covers and ivory plaques, these last known as fictile ivories.

The Museum commissioned casts directly from makers and acquired others in exchange. Oronzio Lelli, of Florence was a key overseas supplier while, in London, Giovanni Franchi and Domenico Brucciani upheld a strong Italian tradition as highly-skilled mould-makers, or formatori.

Some casts are highly accurate depictions of original works, whilst others are more selective, replicating the outer surface of the original work, rather than its whole structure. Like a photograph, they record the moment the cast was taken: alterations, repairs and the wear and tear of age are all reproduced in the copies. The plasters can also be re-worked, so that their appearance differs slightly from the original from which they were taken.

To make a plaster cast, a negative mould has to be taken of the original object. The initial mould could be made from one of several ways. A flexible mould could be made by mixing wax with gutta-percha, a rubbery latex product taken from tropical trees. These two substances formed a mould that had a slightly elastic quality, so that it could easily be removed from the original object. Moulds were also made from gelatine, plaster or clay, and could then be used to create a plaster mould to use for casting.
When mixed with water, plaster can be poured into a prepared mould, allowed to set, and can be removed to produce a finished solid form. The moulds are coated with a separating or paring agent to prevent the newly poured plaster sticking to them. The smooth liquid state and slight expansion while setting allowed the quick drying plaster to infill even the most intricate contours of a mould.
Flatter, smaller objects in low relief usually require only one mould to cast the object. For more complex objects, with a raised surface, the mould would have to be made from a number of sections, known as piece-moulds. These pieces are held together in the so-called mother-mould, in order to create a mould of the whole object. Once the object has been cast from this mother-mould, the piece-moulds can be easily removed one by one, to create a cast of the three-dimensional object.

Descriptive line

Plaster cast of a statue of Reglinda, wife of Hermann, Margrave of Meissen, by F. Künstardt about 1875. The original was made about 1250-60 and has been attributed to the Naumburg Master.

Labels and date

Cast of
Unknown artist (attributed to the Naumburg Master)
Regilinda, wife of Hermann, Margrave of Meissen
About 1250–60

Regilinda was married to Hermann, Margrave of Meissen. She is commemorated in a sandstone statue in Naumburg Cathedral, made 200 years after her death and copied here. This was one of 12 ‘founder’ portraits commissioned for the cathedral. A cast of the statue depicting Regilinda’s brother-in-law, Ekkehard, also from Naumburg Cathedral, is displayed nearby.

Cast
F. Künstardt
About 1875
Painted plaster
Hildesheim
Museum no. Repro.1875-17

Original
Coloured sandstone
Germany
Naumburg Cathedral, Germany [21/06/2018]
Regilinda (about 989-after 1014) was the wife of Hermann, Margrave of Meissen, and is commemorated in a statue in Naumburg Cathedral. That sandstone figure, made two centuries after her death, was one of 12 donor portraits commissioned for the west choir of the cathedral. This plaster cast of the portrait of Regilinda at Naumburg was made in about 1875 by F. Künstardt of Hildesheim. A cast of the statue depicting Regilinda's brother-in-law, Ekkehard, also from the Naumburg Cathedral choir, is likewise in the V&A's cast collection.

Holly Trusted []

Materials

Plaster; Paint

Techniques

Casting; Painting

Subjects depicted

Statues

Categories

Sculpture; Plaster Cast; Copies; Cast Courts

Production Type

Copy

Collection

Sculpture Collection

Large image request

Please confirm you are using these images within the following terms and conditions, by acknowledging each of the following key points:

Please let us know how you intend to use the images you will be downloading.