Or are you looking for Search the Archives?

Please complete the form to email this item.

Monument  - Monument to John Nicolls Raynsford

Monument to John Nicolls Raynsford

  • Object:

    Monument

  • Place of origin:

    England (made)

  • Date:

    about 1746 (made)

  • Artist/Maker:

    Hunt, John

  • Materials and Techniques:

    White marble, gilded and painted wood

  • Credit Line:

    Given to the museum by the Rector and Churchwardens of Lamport with Faxton

  • Museum number:

    A.11-1965

  • Gallery location:

    Sculpture, Room 24, The Dorothy and Michael Hintze Galleries, case EWAL

This monument is one of a group of dynastic tombs commemorating members of the Nicolls family. The inscriptions and heraldic devices take precedence over the figurative elements in evoking the deceased. This funerary monument commemorates John Nicolls Raynsford (1723-1746). He was a descendant of Sir Augustine Nicolls, whose monument is also in the Museum's collection (Museum no. A.9-1965). John Hunt, a local Northampton sculptor, was apprenticed to the famous wood carver and sculptor Grinling Gibbons (1648-1721).

Physical description

Monument, marble. A white marble slab bearing an epitaph in English is flanked by pilasters in brown marble with volutes of white marble on either side. On the cornices there are two flaming urns, the falmes are gilded and painted wood and between them a large cartouche with a coat of arms set on a pyramidal base surmounted by a wreath of colours, the crest wanting. Inscribed on a small marble rectangle at the bottom: JOHN HUNT Northampton Fect.

Place of Origin

England (made)

Date

about 1746 (made)

Artist/maker

Hunt, John

Materials and Techniques

White marble, gilded and painted wood

Marks and inscriptions

'Near this Place lie the Remains/ of JOHN NICOLLS RAYNSFORD Esqr Descended by his Father & his Mother/ From the Ancient Familys/ of NICOLLS & ISHAM,/ both of this Parish of Lamport;/ Sole Proprietor of this Lordship/ and Manor of Faxton. He married ELIZABETH eldest Daughter/ of the Revd: Sr John Dolben Bart/ And Grand Daughter of William Lt Digby/ of the KINGDOM of IRELAND;/ By whom He left only one Female INFANT, ELIZABETH,/ Happy in not being sensible/ of the Loss of a Tender Parent,/ Whose many Endearing Qualitys/ have rendered His untimely Fate,/ Greatly lamented by his most/ Affectionate Wife & Mother,/ By all His Relations, Friends, & Dependants,/ But with the utmost Resignation/ Submitted to That GOD,/ Whose Names is ever to be Magnified/ both by Life & by Death'

'He Died in the 24th Year of His Age,/September the 4th: 1746.'

'JOHN HUNT Northampton Fect.'
Inscribed on a small marble rectangle at the bottom

Dimensions

Height: 198.5 cm

Object history note

From the demolished church of St Denis, Faxton, Northamptonshire. Given to the Museum by the Rector and Churchwardens of Lamport with Faxtn in 1965, together with A.9-1965, A.10-1965.

Historical significance: The hamlet of Faxton, is an abandoned village and chapelry in the county of Northamptonshire in England in a remote position two miles to the north-east of Lamport. In the Domesday Book it was a village of thirty-two families. By 1801 the total population was 54. By 1841 it had risen to 108 but by 1921 it was 37. No one lives in the village now. in 1939 services in the church came to an end. Eventually lead was stripped from the roof and in 1958 it was demolished as a 'dangerous structure'. The wall monuments were removed in pieces to the stables of Lamport rectory. In 1965, the Museum agreed to accept the monuments in the rectory stables as a gift. By then they were in poor condition and the reassembly of the monument was laborious and complex.
Three memorials in Faxton church have not come to the Museum. A plain slabe to Elizabeth Framwell, who died in 1781, has been included in the paving round the base of the column that marks the site of Faxton church. Another simple slab to Susanna Danvers, who died in 1730, daughter of Sir Edward Nicolls, second baronet, has disappeared, although it was photographed by the National Buildings Record in 1945. The monument to Hester Raynsfor, born Isham, who died in 1763, was installed in the Ishal chapel in Lamport church. It was executed by William Cox of Northampton (b. 1717, d. 1793).

Descriptive line

Monument, marble, to John Nicolls Raynsford, by John Hunt, Northamptonshire, about 1746

Bibliographic References (Citation, Note/Abstract, NAL no)

Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors (1660-1851), London, 1953, p. 212
Sculpture in England since the seventeenth century with special reference to Northamptonshire, Northampton Central Art Gallery, 1968.
Hodgkinson, T, 'Monuments from Faxton Church Northamptonshire in the Victoria and Albert Museum' in Northamptonshire Past and Present, 1971/2, p. 336, pl. 4.
Bilbey, Diane with Trusted, Marjorie. British Sculpture 1470 to 2000. A Concise Catalogue of the Collection at the Victoria and Albert Museum. London: V& A Publications, 2002. pp. 92-3. cat. no. 126.

Materials

White marble; Wood

Techniques

Gilded; Painted

Subjects depicted

Volutes; Coat of arms; Urns; Cartouche; Flames

Categories

Sculpture; Death

Collection

Sculpture Collection

Large image request

Please confirm you are using these images within the following terms and conditions, by acknowledging each of the following key points:

Please let us know how you intend to use the images you will be downloading.

  • Copyright: © Victoria and Albert Museum, London 2017. All Rights Reserved