Not currently on display at the V&A

Chiavari, near Genoa

Oil Painting
1880 (painted)
Artist/Maker
Place of origin

Karl Heffner (1849-1925) was born in Würzburg where he first studied music. He was a pupil of Adolf Stademann (1824-1895) and Adolf Heinrich Lier (1826-1882) in Munich. He travelled extensively in Germany, England, Italy and Holland, exhibited in Vienna and Munich between 1873 and 1883, and in the Royal Academy in London between 1880 and 1881.

Heffner was one of the greatest exponents of the Munich School of Paintings led by A. Stademan and A. G. Lier who were his masters. This painting is part of group of six famous Italian views mounted together and depicts a view of Chiavari near Genoa in Liguria (Northern Italy) with the littoral vanishing in the mist. Although his first trip to Italy is recorded in 1883, the present sketch is dated 1880. Following the Realist technique, this work was probably executed directly after the motif in open air. It work is a fine example of Heffner's mature manner, which became broader and sketchier over the years.


Object details

Category
Object type
TitleChiavari, near Genoa
Materials and techniques
Oil on panel
Brief description
Oil Painting, 'Chiavari, near Genoa', Karl Heffner, German school, 1880
Physical description
An oil sketch showing a group of houses on the left, overlooking a distant seashore vanishing in the mist.
Dimensions
  • Approx. height: 12cm
  • Approx. width: 21cm
Dimensions taken from C.M. Kauffmann, Catalogue of Foreign Paintings, II. 1800-1900, London, Victoria and Albert Museum, 1973
Styles
Marks and inscriptions
  • 'K. Heffner' (Signed by the artist, lower left)
  • '18 Mars 1880' (Dated on the back)
Credit line
Bequeathed by John Hill
Object history
Probably acquired directly from the artist (through Thomas Wallis?) by John Hill, of Streatham; by whom bequeathed to the museum in 1894

Historical significance: This painting is a fine example of Heffner's mature manner which became broader and sketchier under the influence of such English painters as John Turner and John Constable but also the French Realists Camille Corot and Théodore Rousseau.
The colours are here applied in a thick impasto, reminiscent of Paul Cézanne's technique. It is a good example of the Realist movement that developed in the Germanic countries in the second half of the 19th century under the influence of French realism and the Barbizon school. This work was probably executed in open air, following the tradition of Realist paintings.
This work may have been painted directly for the English market as Heffner regularly supplied pictures to the English art dealer Thomas Wallis, whose business activities brought to Munich. Such pictures attracted patrons and collectors and hitherto a great extent of Heffner's oeuvre is to be found in private collections rather in public institutions. Heffner executed another of famous views from Switzerland also owns by the museum (see 866A/E-1894).
Subjects depicted
Place depicted
Summary
Karl Heffner (1849-1925) was born in Würzburg where he first studied music. He was a pupil of Adolf Stademann (1824-1895) and Adolf Heinrich Lier (1826-1882) in Munich. He travelled extensively in Germany, England, Italy and Holland, exhibited in Vienna and Munich between 1873 and 1883, and in the Royal Academy in London between 1880 and 1881.

Heffner was one of the greatest exponents of the Munich School of Paintings led by A. Stademan and A. G. Lier who were his masters. This painting is part of group of six famous Italian views mounted together and depicts a view of Chiavari near Genoa in Liguria (Northern Italy) with the littoral vanishing in the mist. Although his first trip to Italy is recorded in 1883, the present sketch is dated 1880. Following the Realist technique, this work was probably executed directly after the motif in open air. It work is a fine example of Heffner's mature manner, which became broader and sketchier over the years.
Bibliographic reference
Kauffmann, C.M., Catalogue of Foreign Paintings, II. 1800-1900, London: Victoria and Albert Museum, 1973, pp. 46-47, cat. no. 100.
Collection
Accession number
867D-1894

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest feedback

Record createdJune 29, 2006
Record URL
Download as: JSONIIIF Manifest