Pendant Cross thumbnail 1
Pendant Cross thumbnail 2
Not currently on display at the V&A

Pendant Cross

1800-1867 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

After the prolonged and destructive Thirty Years War of 1618–48, Europe split into a Catholic south and a Protestant north. In the south, Christian symbols such as the cross and rosary were widely worn as jewellery. The crosses worn with traditional costume often followed out-dated aristocratic examples. Many were based on 17th and 18th century patterns, but over time local differences became fixed, and patterns became characteristic of a particular place.

This pendant comes from the Abruzzi. It is 18th century in design, but the detail is typical of 19th century traditional jewellery. Its original owner would have worn it on a ribbon, strung through the two vertical loops on the back of the bow at the top, and tied at the back of her neck.

It was bought as part of the Castellani collection of Italian Peasant Jewellery at the International Exhibition, Paris, 1867, where it was described as forming part of the traditional bridal gifts.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Silver, partly gilded, set with green and white pastes
Brief Description
Silver bow with pendant cross set with green and white pastes, Abruzzi (Italy), 1800-1867
Physical Description
Silver pendant consisting of a stylised bow, with a hinged pendant cross hanging from it. Both parts gilded on the back, and set with close-set green and white pastes Two vertical bars on the back of the bow for suspension.
Dimensions
  • Length: 9.1cm
  • Width: 6.3cm
  • Depth: 1.2cm
Object history
Castellani Jewellery Exhibition RF.2003/302
Subjects depicted
Summary
After the prolonged and destructive Thirty Years War of 1618–48, Europe split into a Catholic south and a Protestant north. In the south, Christian symbols such as the cross and rosary were widely worn as jewellery. The crosses worn with traditional costume often followed out-dated aristocratic examples. Many were based on 17th and 18th century patterns, but over time local differences became fixed, and patterns became characteristic of a particular place.



This pendant comes from the Abruzzi. It is 18th century in design, but the detail is typical of 19th century traditional jewellery. Its original owner would have worn it on a ribbon, strung through the two vertical loops on the back of the bow at the top, and tied at the back of her neck.



It was bought as part of the Castellani collection of Italian Peasant Jewellery at the International Exhibition, Paris, 1867, where it was described as forming part of the traditional bridal gifts.
Bibliographic Reference
'Italian Jewellery as worn by the Peasants of Italy', Arundel Society, London, 1868, Plate 9
Collection
Accession Number
199-1868

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdApril 25, 2006
Record URL