Ring

late 18th century (made)
Ring thumbnail 1
Not currently on display at the V&A

Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

From the early seventeenth to the end of the nineteenth century, testators left money in their wills to have rings with commemorative inscriptions made and distributed to their friends and families. Simple bands enamelled with the name and life dates of the deceased were frequently made, sometimes set with a gemstone or a bezel set with a rock crystal covering a symbol such as a coffin or initials in gold wire. In the later 18th century, rings followed neo-classical designs, their oval bezels often decorated with the same designs as funerary monuments such as urns, broken pillars and mourning figures. Hair from the deceased was incorporated into the designs or set in a compartment at the back of the ring to give each jewel a uniquely personal element. Black or white enamel were favoured though white enamel was often, though not universally used to commemorate children and unmarried adults.

The inscription on the back of the bezel tells us that the ring commemorates John Amey who died in 1791. Amey was the Master of the London and Greenwich packets, the ships which carried passengers and post up and down the river. His death was recorded in the 'New Lady's Magazine' of April 1791: 'At Berwick-upon-Tweed, in the 64th year of his age, Mr John Amey of Greenwich, many years Master of the London and Berwick packets.'


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Engraved gold with a miniature painted with chopped hair and brown pigment on an ivory ground
Brief Description
Gold mourning ring with a marquise bezel with a miniature of a weeping willow and an urn on a pedestal inscribed SACRED TO LOVE and behind with Ino. Amey Ob 18 Mar 1791 Aet 64., Britain, late 18th century
Physical Description
Gold mourning ring with a marquise bezel with a miniature of a weeping willow and an urn on a pedestal inscribed SACRED TO LOVE and behind with Ino. Amey Ob 18 Mar 1791 Aet 64..

The miniature is made from finely chopped human hair in a brown pigment painted onto ivory.
Dimensions
  • Height: 2.5cm
  • Width: 2.2cm
  • Depth: 3.3cm
Marks and Inscriptions
  • 'SACRED TO LOVE' (inscription)
  • 'Ino. Amey Ob 18 Mar 1791 Aet 64.' (inscription recording the death of John Amey, Master of the Greenwich and London Packets, who died at Berwick-on-Tweed)
  • 'IP' (Maker's mark)
  • Unmarked
Object history
Part of a group of memorial and mourning jewels bought from Dr Marco Guastalla, acting on behalf of 'an English lady residing in Italy' (museum numbers 846-1888 to 989-1888)
Subjects depicted
Summary
From the early seventeenth to the end of the nineteenth century, testators left money in their wills to have rings with commemorative inscriptions made and distributed to their friends and families. Simple bands enamelled with the name and life dates of the deceased were frequently made, sometimes set with a gemstone or a bezel set with a rock crystal covering a symbol such as a coffin or initials in gold wire. In the later 18th century, rings followed neo-classical designs, their oval bezels often decorated with the same designs as funerary monuments such as urns, broken pillars and mourning figures. Hair from the deceased was incorporated into the designs or set in a compartment at the back of the ring to give each jewel a uniquely personal element. Black or white enamel were favoured though white enamel was often, though not universally used to commemorate children and unmarried adults.



The inscription on the back of the bezel tells us that the ring commemorates John Amey who died in 1791. Amey was the Master of the London and Greenwich packets, the ships which carried passengers and post up and down the river. His death was recorded in the 'New Lady's Magazine' of April 1791: 'At Berwick-upon-Tweed, in the 64th year of his age, Mr John Amey of Greenwich, many years Master of the London and Berwick packets.'
Bibliographic Reference
Oman, Charles, Catalogue of rings in the Victoria and Albert Museum, London, 1930, reprinted Ipswich, 1993, cat. 875.
Collection
Accession Number
872-1888

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdApril 24, 2006
Record URL