Ring thumbnail 1
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Jewellery, Rooms 91 to 93 mezzanine, The William and Judith Bollinger Gallery

Ring

1800-1830 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Schwäbisch Gmünd, a small town in south Germany, has produced silver objects and jewellery since the 14th century. By the first half of the 19th century it was the main centre of production for small silver items in the region. The silversmiths specialised in popular and devotional jewellery. They sold their work at markets throughout the Alpine region, and at major international trade fairs all over Europe.

Jewellery set with Hirschgrandln (deer’s teeth) was very popular as a hunting souvenir throughout the Alpine region in the 19th century, and is still being made today. This ring is typical of traditional rings from that area. It is marked on the inside of the shank with the unicorn’s head mark of Schwäbisch Gmünd.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Silver-gilt set with deer's teeth and red and green pastes
Brief Description
Silver-gilt ring with a double bezel set with two deer's teeth (Hirschgrandln) surrounded by pastes, Schwäbisch Gmünd (South Germany), 1800-1830.
Physical Description
Silver-gilt ring with a broad shank decorated with diagonal bars. The double bezel is set with two deer's teeth, surrounded by small red and green pastes.
Dimensions
  • Width: 2.6cm
  • Diameter: 2.7cm
  • Depth: 1.6cm
Marks and Inscriptions
Unicorn’s head in square frame. (On inside centre back of shank.)
Historical context
Probably an example of peasant jewellery. A wolf's tooth was a hunting charm which later also ensured successful teething in a baby
Subject depicted
Summary
Schwäbisch Gmünd, a small town in south Germany, has produced silver objects and jewellery since the 14th century. By the first half of the 19th century it was the main centre of production for small silver items in the region. The silversmiths specialised in popular and devotional jewellery. They sold their work at markets throughout the Alpine region, and at major international trade fairs all over Europe.



Jewellery set with Hirschgrandln (deer’s teeth) was very popular as a hunting souvenir throughout the Alpine region in the 19th century, and is still being made today. This ring is typical of traditional rings from that area. It is marked on the inside of the shank with the unicorn’s head mark of Schwäbisch Gmünd.
Collection
Accession Number
170-1872

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdFebruary 17, 2006
Record URL