Ring thumbnail 1
Ring thumbnail 2
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
Jewellery, Rooms 91, The William and Judith Bollinger Gallery

Ring

ca. 1912 (made)
Artist/Maker
Place of origin

According to the donor, Margaret Reade, her father the sculptor Edmund Ware (1883-1960) designed and made this ring as an engagement present for his future bride Theodora Margaret Lancaster (1885-1977). Mrs Reade suggested that the ring was made for their engagement in 1912. The marriage then took place sometime between October and December 1914 in Kensington, London.

Edmund Ware studied at the Royal Academy Schools, London and taught goldsmithing and jewellery at the Central School of Art and Design from September 1905 to June 1940. In 1910 he exhibited numerous works at the Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society Ninth Exhibition. He was listed as 'Artist, Sculptor' in the Census Returns of England and Wales, 1911 and his place of employment as '52 Doughty Street, WC.

He moved into sculpture after the Second World War and eventually became Vice-President of the Sculptors Society.


Object details
Categories
Object type
Materials and techniques
Gold with a cabochon sapphire and brilliant-cut diamonds
Brief description
Gold ring, the bezel set with a cabochon sapphire flanked by six brilliant-cut diamonds, by Edmund Ware, England, about 1912.
Physical description
Gold ring, the bezel set with a cabachon sapphire flanked by six brilliant-cut diamonds in separate raised collets, with traceried shoulders
Dimensions
  • Height: 2.4cm
  • Width: 1.9cm
  • Depth: 0.9cm
Object history
Margaret Reade (1916-2004), the daughter of Edmund Ware and Theodora Lancaster, was a painter and lithographer. She married Brian Reade who was Assistant Keeper of the Department of Prints and Drawings in the V&A. Her lithograph 'The blue skirt' is in the collection of the British Council.
Subjects depicted
Literary referenceArts and Crafts
Summary
According to the donor, Margaret Reade, her father the sculptor Edmund Ware (1883-1960) designed and made this ring as an engagement present for his future bride Theodora Margaret Lancaster (1885-1977). Mrs Reade suggested that the ring was made for their engagement in 1912. The marriage then took place sometime between October and December 1914 in Kensington, London.



Edmund Ware studied at the Royal Academy Schools, London and taught goldsmithing and jewellery at the Central School of Art and Design from September 1905 to June 1940. In 1910 he exhibited numerous works at the Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society Ninth Exhibition. He was listed as 'Artist, Sculptor' in the Census Returns of England and Wales, 1911 and his place of employment as '52 Doughty Street, WC.



He moved into sculpture after the Second World War and eventually became Vice-President of the Sculptors Society.
Bibliographic reference
Edmund Thomas Wyatt Ware', Mapping the Practice and Profession of Sculpture in Britain and Ireland 1851-1951, University of Glasgow History of Art and HATII, online database 2011 [http://sculpture.gla.ac.uk/view/person.php?id=msib2_1208276253, accessed 18 Jun 2018]
Collection
Accession number
M.240-1977

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

Record createdNovember 4, 2005
Record URL
Download as: JSON