Jardinière thumbnail 1
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
British Galleries, Room 122

Jardinière

1850 (designed)
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Object Type
This plant pot and another in the V&A's collection (museum no. 925-1852), were two of several displayed by A.W.N. Pugin in the Mediaeval Court, part of the Crystal Palace allotted to and designed by him. The plant pots differ from each other in design and size, but they were both prototypes with tiles cut to fit the frames, specially created for the Exhibition. Since they are now the only ones known, it is likely that few if any others were made.

People
Pugin probably met Herbert Minton in 1840. Minton was keen to manufacture Pugin's encaustic floor tiles. Pugin met John Hardman, who made the frames, in 1837. Hardman had been a button manufacturer in Birmingham, but Pugin steered his firm towards making ironwork as well as stained-glass windows to his designs. Pugin was on the Design Purchase Committee to buy objects from the Great Exhibition for the School of Design. Naturally, he selected his pots as instructive examples of good domestic product design.

Materials & Making
Pugin was keen to combine good design with efficient modern manufacturing methods. The tiles were made by Prosser's Patent, an economical new method of compressing powdered clay to produce a good, even surface. The tiles were printed by a process resembling wood-block printing. Pugin was familiar with chromolithographic book illustration and encouraged two Clerkenwell printers, F.W.M. Collins and Alfred Reynolds, to experiment with tiles and tablewares. On 14th March 1848, they patented their method of transfer-printing with oil-based inks and stone or metal plates. Herbert Minton bought the patent in 1849. this system was far more efficient than hand-colouring but did not really catch on until the 1870s.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Printed earthenware, mounted in gilt cast iron
Brief Description
Earthenware sides, formed of square tiles, medieval pattern, in colours; mounting in cast iron, gilt. English, Minton & Co, c.1852
Dimensions
  • Height: 44.5cm
  • Width: 37.6cm
  • Depth: 37.6cm
Dimensions checked: Measured; 24/08/2000 by Terry
Gallery Label
British Galleries: These plant stands were designed by A.W.N. Pugin for the Medieval Court, one of the most popular areas of the Exhibition. Pugin collaborated with Minton & Co. on the design and production of many tiles in the Gothic style.(27/03/2003)
Object history
Designed by A.W.N. Pugin (born in London 1812, died in Ramsgate, Kent, 1852); tiles made by Minton & Co., Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire; metalwork by John Hardman & Co., Birmingham
Production
Tiles made by Minton & Co., metalwork by John Hardman & Co.
Summary
Object Type
This plant pot and another in the V&A's collection (museum no. 925-1852), were two of several displayed by A.W.N. Pugin in the Mediaeval Court, part of the Crystal Palace allotted to and designed by him. The plant pots differ from each other in design and size, but they were both prototypes with tiles cut to fit the frames, specially created for the Exhibition. Since they are now the only ones known, it is likely that few if any others were made.

People
Pugin probably met Herbert Minton in 1840. Minton was keen to manufacture Pugin's encaustic floor tiles. Pugin met John Hardman, who made the frames, in 1837. Hardman had been a button manufacturer in Birmingham, but Pugin steered his firm towards making ironwork as well as stained-glass windows to his designs. Pugin was on the Design Purchase Committee to buy objects from the Great Exhibition for the School of Design. Naturally, he selected his pots as instructive examples of good domestic product design.

Materials & Making
Pugin was keen to combine good design with efficient modern manufacturing methods. The tiles were made by Prosser's Patent, an economical new method of compressing powdered clay to produce a good, even surface. The tiles were printed by a process resembling wood-block printing. Pugin was familiar with chromolithographic book illustration and encouraged two Clerkenwell printers, F.W.M. Collins and Alfred Reynolds, to experiment with tiles and tablewares. On 14th March 1848, they patented their method of transfer-printing with oil-based inks and stone or metal plates. Herbert Minton bought the patent in 1849. this system was far more efficient than hand-colouring but did not really catch on until the 1870s.
Collection
Accession Number
925-1852

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdMay 25, 1999
Record URL