- Place of origin:
- Materials and Techniques:
- Credit Line:
Given by the Rev. A. Tyrrell Green.
- Museum number:
- Gallery location:
Monumental brasses are commemorative plaques that served as effigies and were most commonly found in churches. The earliest examples come from the thirteenth century but they were popular up until the seventeenth century and then again in the Victorian Gothic Revival. Surviving brasses from the medieval period are limited due to the turbulent history of the Church but they do survive in considerable numbers in the East of England, Germany and Flanders. Made from an alloy of copper and zinc, a material known as latten, they were laid into church floors and walls. Monumental brasses are historically and stylistically significant because they record dress, architecture, armoury, heraldry (coats of arms and insignia) and palaeography (handwriting) in a dated object. In addition they tell the story of memorial and patronage.
The practice of recording brasses through a process of rubbing originates from the Victorian Gothic Revival. An early method of pouring printer’s ink into engraved lines and then placing damp tissue paper over the brass was replaced around the mid-nineteenth century with the more effective technique of using black shoemaker’s wax, known as heel ball. Brass rubbing continued to be a popular hobby into the twentieth century before the process was understood to cause damage to the brasses.
Brass rubbing (effigy in civil dress, with inscription) of John Eldred.
Place of Origin
Materials and Techniques
Marks and inscriptions
Accessions register reads 'inscription, 6 Lat. and Eng. vv., dedication plate, 2 achievements and 6 shields'
Height: 75.75 in, Width: 37 in
Brass rubbing- effigy of John Eldred in civil dress, with inscription, dedication plate, 2 achievements and 6 shields, 1632. Great Saxham Church, Suffolk.
Bibliographic References (Citation, Note/Abstract, NAL no)
Dimensions taken from Victoria & Albert Museum Department of Engraving Illustration and Design and Department of Paintings, Accessions 1946. London: Published under the Authority of the Ministry of Education, 1949.
Prints, Drawings & Paintings Collection