- Place of origin:
ca. 1870 (made)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Museum number:
- Gallery location:
Jewellery, Rooms 91, The William and Judith Bollinger Gallery, case 20, shelf D, box 3
The archaeological discoveries of the 19th century led to a greater awareness and understanding of ancient jewellery. For the first time these intricate gold pieces were collected, studied and published, and both the originals and the published illustrations of them were a rich new source for designers of jewellery. The resulting 'archaeological-style' jewellery was fashionable from around 1860 until at least the 1880s. The Italian firm of Castellani was at the forefront of this style. Castellani both made jewellery and owned an extensive collection of antiquities. These particular pendants are copies of Greek originals from around 330-300 BC that were excavated at Great Bliznitza, Russia in 1864 and now in the Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg.
Possibly the versions shown by Alessandro Castellani at the International Exhibitions in Philadelphia in 1876 and 1878.
Pendant consisting of a large gold plaque decorated with the figure of Thetis riding a sea monster and carrying the armour of Achilles. hung with rosettes and bud-like drops; from the lower rim of the circular frame descends a fringe of loop-in-loop chain which forms a lattice hung with hollow vase-shaped pendants. The fringe terminates with six larger pendants. The applied plaque is marked with the Castellani monogram. The pendants perhaps from a diadem. Made after Greek originals of about 360 BC
Place of Origin
ca. 1870 (made)
Materials and Techniques
Marks and inscriptions
Monogram of two 'C's
Addorsed Cs in appied wire (not any of the marks illustrated in Munn, 1984)
Height: 15.5 cm, Width: 7.3 cm, Depth: 1 cm
Object history note
These pendants, 632&A-1844, (or similar specimens) were shown by Castellani at the Paris Exhibition of 1878. The Museum acquired them from the sale of Alessandro Castellani's effects, Rome 1884.
Made after Greek originals of about 360 BC excavated at Kul Oba in South Russia in 1864 and acquired for the Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg.
Castellani Jewellery Exhibition RF.2003/302
Gold pendant, with a large circular plaque and an elaborate fringe of chains and pendants, made by Castellani, Italy (Rome), about 1870
Classicism; Armour; Sea monsters; Antique
Jewellery; Myths & Legends