Wine Glass

1849-1851 (made)
Image of Gallery in South Kensington
On display at V&A South Kensington
British Galleries, Room 122
Artist/Maker
Place Of Origin

Object Type
This glass, probably for champagne, is in the 'Anglo-Venetian' style popularised by Apsley Pellatt IV (1791-1863). The coloured twist stem and double loop were supposed to be reminiscent of 17th-century Venetian stems. John Tallis, in his History and Description of the Crystal Palace (1852), described the 'delicate twisted stems' of Bacchus' glasses as 'novel and chaste'.

People
George Bacchus & Sons was a Birmingham firm, previously known as Bacchus, Green and Green. They were one of the leading British glassmakers of the mid-19th century, keeping up with and sometimes creating stylistic and technical developments. They were known for, among other things, flashed glass and transfer-printing on glass, and by 1848 they had become the first English firm to produce Venetian-style millefiore glass (made from composite sections of coloured glass cane).

Historical Associations
Bacchus' collection of glassware at the Great Exhibition was described as 'not large but well designed and executed'. He exhibited examples of coloured and cased glass, cutting, engraving and enamelling. The range of vessels included a flower-stand, vases (including some cased in green and in ruby), a tazza (or shallow bowl), wine glasses, an enamelled sugar bowl and butter dish, cut glass decanters and engraved goblets.


object details
Categories
Object Type
Materials and Techniques
Clear glass, engraved, with twisted, coloured threads in the stem
Brief Description
Wine glass, engraved, with twisted, coloured threads in the stem, probably made by George Bacchus & Sons, England (Birmingham), 1849-1854
Physical Description
Wine Glass; clear glass, engraved & with twisted, coloured enamel threads in the stem. Wide, shallow bowl engraved with leaf & berry motif, resting on a figure of 8 twisted stem which has blue, red & white enamel threads in it. The whole resting on a circular foot.
Dimensions
  • Height: 13cm
  • Maximum diameter: 9.5cm
  • Base diameter: 6.8cm
Style
Gallery Label
British Galleries: TWO WINE GLASSES engraved with Exhibition motifs
Apsley Pellat, the famous firm of glass manufacturers, showed many drinking vessels in their display, as well as a huge chandelier. The twisted white threads in both stems imitate Venetian glass. Many glasses in this style were engraved, using motifs relevant for the occasion - including the globe (signifying the international theme) and the crown (signifying royal support).(27/03/2003)
Subjects depicted
Summary
Object Type
This glass, probably for champagne, is in the 'Anglo-Venetian' style popularised by Apsley Pellatt IV (1791-1863). The coloured twist stem and double loop were supposed to be reminiscent of 17th-century Venetian stems. John Tallis, in his History and Description of the Crystal Palace (1852), described the 'delicate twisted stems' of Bacchus' glasses as 'novel and chaste'.

People
George Bacchus & Sons was a Birmingham firm, previously known as Bacchus, Green and Green. They were one of the leading British glassmakers of the mid-19th century, keeping up with and sometimes creating stylistic and technical developments. They were known for, among other things, flashed glass and transfer-printing on glass, and by 1848 they had become the first English firm to produce Venetian-style millefiore glass (made from composite sections of coloured glass cane).

Historical Associations
Bacchus' collection of glassware at the Great Exhibition was described as 'not large but well designed and executed'. He exhibited examples of coloured and cased glass, cutting, engraving and enamelling. The range of vessels included a flower-stand, vases (including some cased in green and in ruby), a tazza (or shallow bowl), wine glasses, an enamelled sugar bowl and butter dish, cut glass decanters and engraved goblets.
Bibliographic References
  • B. Morris, Victorian Table Glass and Ornaments, London 1978; pl. 45)
  • VAM Images neg. K2528 is pl.51A in Wakefield NCBG. EVEDA cat. no. 10 (details from photo formerly in departmental b&w mounted photo archive).
Collection
Accession Number
4449-1901

About this object record

Explore the Collections contains over a million catalogue records, and over half a million images. It is a working database that includes information compiled over the life of the museum. Some of our records may contain offensive and discriminatory language, or reflect outdated ideas, practice and analysis. We are committed to addressing these issues, and to review and update our records accordingly.

You can write to us to suggest improvements to the record.

Suggest Feedback

record createdDecember 13, 1997
Record URL